Friday, June 15, 2012

Christ within Us

11th Sunday in Ordinary Time
Ez 17:22-24/1Cor 5:6-10/Mk 4:26-43


On Friday the Church celebrated the Feast of the Sacred Heart (June 15). I have two Holy Cards on my desk next to my phone. One is of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the other is of Our Lady of Sorrows. Whenever I get one of 'those' phone calls--you know--the ones that really get to you--I gaze at these two cards and remember the great love Our Blessed Mother and Our Lord have for me. They were willing to suffer all, to offer up all, for me. Each call us to a life of love and holiness, reminding us that the path to heaven is not paved with gold or a life of ease, but one of passion, compassion, and humility--a life lived for others. This gives me the strength to carry on, reminding me to find Christ in others so that they may see Christ in me.


The readings this Sunday speak to the faith that we are called to have. We do not all start out as saints--but we are all called to be saints. Mark's Gospel notes that "faith is like a mustard seed that, when it is sown in the ground, is the smallest of the seeds on the earth. But once it is sown, it springs up and becomes the largest of plants and puts forth large branches, so that the birds of the sky can dwell in its shade." Holiness is attractive. We are drawn to those who lead lives of faith. Mother Teresa of Calcutta and Blessed John Paul II are but two modern day examples of such lives.


I remember when the doctor placed each of our children in my arms as new born babes. Fresh from the womb, I was in awe of the miracle God had given my husband and me. So innocent and totally dependent on us, as parents we planted the seeds of faith in each. First, by having them baptized and then by taking them to Mass, teaching them their prayers, celebrating the traditions of our faith, participating in the Sacramental life of the Church, educating them, teaching them discipline and the moral life, and most importantly, by sharing our own faith through word and example. Each with their own personality--the seeds of faith were nurtured with great love so that they too, would know the God who loves them so.


Our children are now grown. It is amazing to see how each has blossomed. It is also comforting to know that God is still at work in each one of them as well as within my husband and me. Through the guidance of the Holy Spirit, we are drawn into life in Christ which brings the greatest joy, happiness, and freedom that one can know. It is this happiness and yearning for more that draws us onward, searching ever more intensely for the One who loves us so. Ultimately our greatest desire will be quenched when we at last enter into eternal beatitude and happiness with Him forever in heaven. That is why it is so important to me that my children have faith.


Just like a tree that plants its roots deep into the ground so that it may grow tall, the roots of faith must grow deep within so that we can rise above the din and noise of the world, standing strong but also to allow Christ's light to shine brightly from us as a beacon for others who are in search of true happiness and peace.


Keeping with the imagery of a tree, I want to leave with a quote from St. Teresa of Avila, who reminds us how important it is to stay near Christ as we maneuver through this world, so that we may be blessed abundantly:


"The tree that is beside the running water is fresher and gives more fruit."


Let us go forth and bear great fruit, all for the glory and praise of God!









No comments:

Post a Comment