Friday, December 23, 2011

Something New


While I like to write--I have never ventured into 'blogging.' We'll see how this goes. You may wonder why I picked the name I did for the blog. After trying several names, which obviously were also very popular, I came upon this title, which was not taken yet. Funny--it was suggested to me not too long ago that I take a bit deeper look at connecting with these two!

The 'two' are Edith Stein and Faustina Kowalska--both saints of the Roman Catholic Church. One a brilliant feminist writer, doctor, lecturer, and atheist turned Carmelite who was martyred at Auschwitz. The other, a rather simple woman from Poland, entered into religious life, through her deep faith had personal encounters with Christ, which led her to proclaim in a profound way the message of His Divine Mercy, and who died of tuberculosis while still young.

Both women have had major influences on the Church. Both have messages that are as important today as the world in which they lived. Ironically--both lived in Europe during the tumultuous times of World War I and early World War II. Both, in their own ways, spoke a message the world desperately needed to hear. That message is one that still rings true today.

Edith spent her life searching for Truth. Faustina spent her life plumbing the depths of Christ's Mercy. Both lead to Love, which is God.

I hope over time to break open their message--for it is a message of hope for all of us today as we seek happiness and love.